Work Study

Work study is a federal program in which students work on their campus and earn a wage.

State Work Study

The Montana Work Study program was first introduced, along with the Montana SSIG program (currently known as MHEG), during the 1975-1976 academic year. The program receives approximately $800,000 in funding each year. 

Funds are appropriated to the Montana University System colleges and the three designated community colleges (Dawson, Miles and Flathead Valley). Tribal and private colleges do not receive any state work-study funds.

In order to be eligible for the Montana Work Study program a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Montana Work Study recipients are selected by the financial aid office of the college in which they are enrolled. Recipients must be Montana residents, as established by Board of Regents Policy 940.1 - Residency Policy, and accepted or enrolled full-time at the institution.

The majority of work-study jobs are awarded based on financial need, as determined by the FAFSA. Recipients are paid an hourly rate according to the job skills required. All student employees are paid at least minimum wage. You will need to arrange a work schedule with the job supervisor based on your class schedule and assignments. Work is limited to an average of 20 hours per week while class is in session and 40 hours per week when classes are not in session. 

To obtain more information on work-study jobs, contact the financial aid office at the college in which you are enrolled or plan to attend. For eligibility and criteria information see the procedures.

Federal Work Study

Like the Montana Work Study program the Federal Work Study (FWS) programs provides part-time employment to students with financial need. 

In order to be eligible for the FWS program a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Recipients are paid directly by the school on an hourly basis at least once per month.

To learn more about the Federal Work Study program visit Federal Student Aid, an office of the U.S. Department of Education.