Leverage Prior Learning
Put Your Experience to Work
How To Earn Credit through a PLA
1. Inventory Your Experiences
- Did you take any college-level classes, such as Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate courses?
- Have you completed any military service, workplace training, volunteering, or apprenticeships?
- Have you engaged in self-directed learning in a subject relevant to your degree?
2. Consider Your Opportunities
Consider whether your learning experiences fit with any potential PLA opportunities:
- Have you taken any standardized tests, such as CLEP, DSST, UExcel, AP, or IB exams?
- Has your learning program been validated by the American Council on Education (ACE) or the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS)?
- Could you demonstrate your knowledge by taking a challenge exam, creating a learning portfolio, or completing an individual performance assessment?
3. Request an Evaluation
All MUS students are able to request that their previous college-level learning is evaluated for college credit. Reach out to your individual school or use the contact information at the bottom of this page to find out how to request a Prior Learning Assessment.
Interested in learning more about Prior Learning Assessments? Read our annual reports:
Do you have questions about PLA or if your prior learning experience qualifies? Don’t hesitate to reach out to your specific MUS campus, or use the information below:
Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
Montana University System
560 N Park Ave, Helena, MT 59601